These ‘self-growth opportunities’ come up in life on a regular basis.
Self -growth opportunities keep turning up in life
Last time did you think – yep got life sorted? D
Did you learn from previous experiences?
Or did something happen and you got blind-sided?
Right now, I am sharing from my heart because I was really triggered today. I allowed this to blind-side me.
Sharing my experiences offers others an insight into how they might react in a similar situation. When I share, I am ‘contributing to solutions’, offering suggestions for others to try.
When I published my first book ‘Beyond Abuse’ in 2006 and started getting it out there, speaking, writing, and running workshops I was met with responses like – you are not a professional, you are not a psychologist, a personal story has no value – go away!
Who do you think you are?
Today, in 2019 I was speaking about my new book just about to be released, “Speak Out’. A woman I had just met flicked through the book for 15secs, looked me in the eye and asked ‘are you a psychologist?’
When I answered no, her look said it all as she handed the book back to me with a disdainful expression.
Her question and ‘look’ took me back to 2006… and I felt it undermining me.
Later, I reached out to two amazing women Trish Springsteen and Deb Fay for a dose of reality and to assist me to turn that around.
Even when you know, even when you have a toolbox full of strategies, you can still fall prey. For me reaching out and talking it out clarifies, uplifts and allows me to think clearly.
Even when you have a toolbox of strategies you need to remember to use them
Opportunities for self-growth I have taken from today are:
- There is a ‘knowing’ that comes from people ‘who have been there’. There is huge value in that. It does not decry professional help it has its valued place.
- I know the pain I used to be in and I recognise that when I see it in others. We connect deepest with people when we share their pain. That is the woman that I am talking to, the woman I need to reach out to… in other words – that is who I am seeking and who is seeking me
- From today that woman is Marie (my middle name), she knew, felt and lived the pain. She was hidden away and had no voice. As I align with her – I know I have something of value to share that can help her and consequently other women.
- This happening today is my opportunity to get rock-solid about who and what I am – to live and show my authenticity, truth and belief in what I do.
- I heard this quote recently ‘disruption is not a threat it is an invitation towards a new normal’. Today I was disrupted, and now I have the opportunity to choose my ‘new normal’ and put the ‘reactive me’ to bed.
- Whatever else is going on in life, I have the opportunity to get rock solid in every way.
- Fear of judgment is huge, especially when the subject is a deep one like recovery from abuse or not having a voice – now I can choose from a quiet space at home what mindset I will use to move forward.
In summary – saying it with love and kindness
- Take the ‘invitation to a new normal’ to how I respond and step up.
- Never be afraid to reach out
- Continue to be real, raw and authentic
- Use Marie as my guide… and go make my difference
- Remember, my book is not for everyone – some are not my target market, some are not ready to look at themselves and others use justification or put- downs as an out. That is OK, it is where they are – release them with love and move forward.
- For my mindset – fully believe in me.
I am putting it out there – I am not saying I am a professional. I do not decry professional help. I am saying that I am authentic and I am making a ‘contribution to solutions’ that plague today’s society. Imagine if we all contributed to solutions what a wonderful world it would be,
My solutions are solutions that worked for me, I am putting them out here for anyone who is interested, seeking and genuinely ready to move forward.
I am expert in what worked for me.
If you would like to know more, contact me at www.diriddell.com or email@example.com to purchase your copy of my book ‘Speak Out – use you voice, your unique gift to turn suppression to expression and expand your self-expression.