I am so often asked about Toastmasters, why I joined, why I stayed…especially now it is 40 years own the track. This is a great time for me to reflect on my personal journey, a time to remember how scary it was to walk in that room, how scary it was to stand and introduce myself and how scary it was to admit my confidence was at an all-time low which was affecting how I communicated and lived.
Last weekend I received my 40-year pin
This is a wonderful article saying no one needs it… or says ‘I must find Toastmasters’.
What I am hearing is…
- Oh, I don’t like giving presentations.
- I don’t need to give presentations.
- I am speaking at a wedding next week. Can you help me?
- I am running for provincial/state/federal office in the next election. Can you help me?
- I have to give a presentation at work next week. Can you help me?
- I am already comfortable speaking in public. I don’t need Toastmasters [or any other training].
- To provide valuable information to niches and build connections worldwide
- Personal growth
- Creating incredible lasting friendships
Some people could benefit from the training experience provided by Toastmasters. Here are some ideas that might help you target specific segments with specific interests:
- job seekers – job interview skills
- employees aspiring to higher management/leadership – to practice running meetings, leadership roles and speaking
- anyone aspiring to become an elected politician
- team leaders – to develop or hone meeting and speaking skills
- entrepreneurs – to present their product or service
- sales and selling – duh!
- inmates – to build positive life skills
- people in rehab/recovery – to build positive life skills
- English as a second language (ESL) students (or the languages of your Club)
- authors – to present their material and market their book(s)
- high school students – to become comfortable with public speaking and running meeting, through the Youth Leadership Program before the skills are required
- post-secondary students – to prepare for the job market or to present their thesis BEFORE the skills are required
- contest judges for other organizations
- marketing and communications professionals (who actually know what MARCOM means)
- speechwriters – nothing like the first-hand experience to know what works and what doesn’t work
- corporate communications professionals – to practice and hone their craft
- video and media students – a great place to practice creating how-to videos, articles, press releases, and reports
- people who generally struggle with interpersonal skills
- people with dating challenges
The following people might already be comfortable with public speaking, but could benefit from experimenting and practising in a place where the results don’t matter:
- professional speakers, comedians, actors – new material
- public speaking trainers, presentation coaches – to practice methods and material; to develop clients; referrals
- poets who read their own work
- middle and executive managers – elevator speeches; speaking with credibility; networking
- sales managers
- college instructors and university professors
The following people and organizations might benefit from knowing about the Toastmasters training program even if they do not personally attend. They would refer the program to others:
- human resources/training coordinators – to understand and refer employees to the program
- job seeker services – to refer job seekers
- sales managers – to refer their salespeople
- high school teachers, university professors, and college instructors – to refer students
No one needs Toastmasters! Instead of selling it – Connect people with the idea of resolving their [specific] pain or receiving a [specific] pleasure/benefit/success. Many people need the benefit of the Toastmasters training program, primarily to develop communication and leadership skills in an environment where the results do not matter… BEFORE those skills are required.
The link to Coach Craig and the full article
If you see yourself in parts of this article maybe you are ready to reach out. My journey has taken me beyond membership in using my skills in my community, making my difference. I have taken my skills and created my programs, presentations and videos using those skills.
If that speaks to you, and you would like your overwhelm taken away, so you can shine and tell the world your message in your way let’s chat. If your skills need updating let’s go to it!
If a 4-week program to cover ‘presenting the best of you’ would suit your needs email me at email@example.com or call 0409 638 248.
#confidencebydesign #toastmasters #presentingthebestofyou